Finding the Silver Lining

For this week's blog post, I wanted to write about something that I saw on Twitter. It is a global community poem called "Dear Vaccine" and it really resonated with me during this time. I highly encourage you all to read this poem before reading my analysis and discussion about this modern poem: https://globalvaccinepoem.com

Dear Vaccine—A Global Vaccine Poem

One of the most interesting things about this poem, is how the website allows reader to add on to the poem by selecting sentence starters and getting the opportunity to share their voice. The poem personifies the COVID vaccine and reminds the vaccine of what it has the potential to do for people. The vaccine can singlehandedly save out livelihoods and give us our lives back. 

This modern poem is also so representative of the current times we are in. Just like the pandemic that put is in the situation, the only way to combat it is to work together and get through it together and that is exactly what the creators of this poem did. The created an outlet where people can read a poem and add on to it in whatever way they choose. If anyone of you feel motivated enough, I highly recommend adding your own stanza and just venting about how you feel. Sometimes it's just nice to say everything that is on your mind and poetry can be your outlet. 

To close my post I just wanted to leave you all with my stanzas that I added to this global community poem and that I felt were representative of my feelings toward the pandemic and the vaccine:

***********************

They call my number the next day,
I have my mask in place.

There is an alloted time, no queue, I'm checked in, and I'm the next space
"In the left or right? Expose your upper arm"
The jab. I have to return in two weeks but then, I'm free from harm.

The day draws nearer now, I can see it clear.
That day will finally come, when we're Covid-free, no fear.

No more masks, no more tears.
We can meet again, a hug, even drink tea.
No screens, no PPE, just you and me.
Together for all eternity

***********************

Thanks for reading this week's Storytime with Sejal, and I hope everyone stays safe and gets their vaccines soon!


Comments

Popular Posts